Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Holy Place


When I was home a few weeks ago, my mom and I were going through some paperwork of my sisters. Mom's intent is to put the "important" stuff in a memory album as a keeper. We sorted, made piles, and decided what to put where. One of the last documents we came across was an essay Cory wrote for one of her Education Classes, based on 'My Holy Place". I knew I had read this shortly after she died, but had forgotten about it. Her "Holy" Place was not a church, not a building, but a place where both had played growing up. Dunvegan! I hadn't really thought about it as a "Holy Place", but it is a place so close to my heart. Not only did we play on the hills and valleys growing up, but I also worked at the Historic Site for two summers while I was at university.

There is definitely something special about the hills of Dunvegan. Over the years when I have driven home, I get antsy as soon as the bridge comes into view. As I drive down the south side of the hill, the anticipation grows; yes! I'm home!!!!! The bridge and valley peeks into my view as the road curves east to west, getting my closer....there it is! Down over the bridge and start the climb home up the north side of the hill....home... 15 minutes away!

I feel a connection there. I only really lived there when I worked at the site, but it's there. Why? Because my dad also grew up roaming the same hills? The years we spent as kids? I don't know, but I do find it amazing that my sister and I felt the same connection, even though we never spoke about it. When I reread her essay with my mom, I told mom that I had the same feeling. I think she was amazed, but then just smiled at me...another connection I have with my little sister! It warms my heart to know we had that in common, perhaps someday we'll have the chance to share our memories together once again.

1 comment:

Tammy (Scrappy and T) said...

beautiful story and such a beautiful place Tracee =)